The Development Director is responsible for creating and implementing an annual fundraising plan and directing the staff and Party in all fundraising activities. S/he should be skilled in managing multiple, competing priorities simultaneously and while maintaining a sharp focus on details. S/he must be creative, dynamic, relentless, and unafraid to take risks.
The Director will report to the State Party Chair and Executive Director and collaborate with the entire Party team. Salary is $70,000 to $90,000/year, depending on experience, with health care, vision and dental coverage. The position is part of a union collective bargaining agreement.
The Development Director is responsible for directing all the vital revenue streams, which allow us to elect democrats at all levels, throughout the state.
- Working with staff, consultants and vendors on an aggressive fundraising strategy, including implementing an annual fundraising calendar, that comprises digital, direct mail, events, major donor, and other targeted fundraising campaigns.
- Develop and manage strategies geared towards the donor lifecycle and journey as it relates to acquisition, on-boarding, cultivation/engagement and retention from donors acquired via all channels, especially digital.
- Work with the Executive Director and Compliance and Fundraising Director to track income and adjust goals, as needed.
- Reporting income and expenses for all fundraising channels weekly, monthly, and oftentimes daily.
- Work with the organization’s finance consultant on fundraising strategy decisions, public-facing messaging tactics, and other politically sensitive issues as appropriate.
- Directing teams of staff, interns and volunteers in the planning and execution of events and other fundraising tactics.
- Direct the operations for three yearly statewide meetings, at least three yearly fundraisers, and quarterly donor appreciation events, as well as implement the yearly fundraising plan.
- Drafting fundraising and event communications, including acquiring approval from Chair, Executive Director, and consulting outside affected parties, such as elected officials, candidates, initiative campaigns, etc. This includes but is not limited to multiple weekly fundraising emails, donor reports, electoral reports, social media communications, and direct mail.
- Acting as point of contact for guest speakers, providing briefing documents and talking points, and attending to other special requests.
- Acting as point of contact for prospective and committed event sponsors. This includes following up on unanswered solicitations, confirming guests, and securing payment.
- Acting as point of contact for venue management and other vendors, such as catering and audio-visual providers. This includes determining appropriate room setup orders and timed, detailed event schedules.
- A passion for social justice and a commitment to Democratic Party values.
- 8+ years fundraising experience, including time directing a department/staff.
- Proven track record of raising funds from diverse sources.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- An unabating drive to unearth new strategies to elect democrats.
- A friendly and professional member-first demeanor.
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Microsoft Word and Excel, with experience in NGP-VAN and Patton Technologies; online event registration software; and comfort with basic graphic design software, such as Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator.
- Demonstrated success in digital acquisition and fundraising campaigns.
- Detail oriented and comfortable working in a fast-paced office environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to accountability, measuring outcomes, and a results-oriented culture.
- Spanish proficiency preferred, but not required.
The Washington State Democratic Central Committee provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Recruitment for this position will remain open until January 15, 2019. To apply please send your resume to email@example.com, along with a brief description of why you are uniquely qualified, including examples of creative strategies you would bring to the position. Consideration will be given to all qualified applicants who submit their resume by the time recruitment closes.