The Urbanist is a nonprofit that examines policies to improve cities. We primarily focus on transportation and housing policy. We think high quality walking, bike, and public transit improvements are critical for a successful city. We also believe an inclusive housing policy is a necessity. You can read more about our policy principles. The organization focuses on three primary activities: publishing, programming, and policy activism. We’re a resource for disseminating ideas, creating community, and improving the places we live.
The Development Coordinator position is a six-month, part-time contract (20 hours per week) with the goal of making it a permanent position. The primary responsibility will be developing a revenue strategy, growing existing fundraising, and increasing organizational capacity.
An ideal candidate would be:
- Passionate about inclusive urbanism
- Skilled at identifying opportunities to raise money
- Self-motivated to grow an organization
- Able to engage and coordinate volunteers
- Comfortable with politics that involve both collaboration and conflict
- Create a two-year fundraising plan with timelines and goals
- Systematize revenue generation so that anyone can help with the effort and involve existing volunteers
- Organize and oversee an online fundraising drive
- Develop advertising pipeline and manage existing advertisers
- Organize and participate in quarterly board meetings outside normal business hours
- Develop a volunteer engagement process and strategy
- Participate in volunteer engagement events and activities
- Commitment to urbanist values
- Strong communications skills
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated
- Experience working with volunteers
- At least one year of experience with nonprofit fundraising
- Experience with online publications and advertising
- Experience with organizational development
Compensation is $23.75 per hour.
Interested applicants should submit a resume with a cover letter to jobs [at] theurbanist.org.