The Head of Political Strategy will define Swing Left’s political strategy for 2019 and 2020 while building and maintaining relationships with elected officials, candidates, and partner organizations to support this strategy.
This position will report to the Managing Director and will lead a team to execute on political and partnership initiatives. They will provide leadership, vision, and strategy as well as excellence in execution. The ideal candidate will have deep political strategy knowledge and experience analyzing data and information to inform political strategy. This is a new position at Swing Left and will be part of the organization’s Leadership team.
About Swing Left
Swing Left is a national grassroots organization that took back the House in 2018 by building a national campaign for Democratic candidates in 84 Swing Districts in three big ways: recruiting and training an army of volunteers, raising funds from grassroots donors, and building cultural momentum for the midterms. For 2020, we’ll be bringing our “campaigns-in-waiting” model to swing Senate seats, defend the House, win the state-level races needed to ensure fair maps for 2021 redistricting—and, of course, the Presidency.
In 2018 we took back the House. Join us, and help take back all the Houses in 2020.
- Define Swing Left’s electoral focus for 2019 and 2020, with a particular focus on determining which states and districts (state and federal) to prioritize
- Build and maintain relationships with campaigns and partners in our coalition and work together to identify moments of greatest impact for our coalition to support and promote
- Oversee work of Deputy Political Director and Partnerships Director
- Lead team to execute on political and partnership initiatives
- Develop messaging and communications for campaigns and partners as it relates to the work Swing Left is doing in the districts/regions
- Hire, onboard, train, and manage additional skilled employees and volunteers to support the Political team as needed
- 8+ years of relevant experience, with 2+ years of management experience. Preference for candidates who have worked in electoral organizations
- Strong analytical skills and experience in applying them to evaluate geo-political priorities
- Experience building coalitions and deep relationships within the progressive movement and/or Democratic Party
- Comfort in a rapidly changing virtual work environment (Swing Left is still very much a startup)
- Strong preference for candidates based in Washington, DC
The Head of Political Strategy position is full-time, remote position. Swing Left provides a competitive salary and benefits package. We are happy to answer any questions you have about our benefits, retirement, parental leave policies and other, similar benefits in interviews.
We believe that the GOP’s bad behavior disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. As a result, we believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do and we welcome all applicants regardless of age, citizenship, gender identity or expression, national origin, pregnancy status, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other differences.