The Head of Organizing will design Swing Left’s overall grassroots organizing strategy, oversee individual programs, and ensure our volunteers have a huge impact in 2020.
This position will report to the Managing Director and will work with a team of organizers to build and implement programs. They will provide leadership, vision, and strategy as well as excellence in execution. The ideal candidate will have deep organizing knowledge and experience building volunteer programs. This position is part of Swing Left’s Leadership team.
About Swing Left
Swing Left is a national grassroots organization that took back the House in 2018 by building a national campaign for Democratic candidates in 84 Swing Districts in three big ways: recruiting and training an army of volunteers, raising funds from grassroots donors, and building cultural momentum for the midterms. For 2020, we’ll be bringing our “campaigns-in-waiting” model to swing Senate seats, defend the House, win the state-level races needed to ensure fair maps for 2021 redistricting—and, of course, the Presidency.
In 2018 we took back the House. Join us, and help take back all the Houses in 2020.
- Create, and oversee the implementation of, programs and plans to ensure Swing Left’s volunteers are effectively utilized to win key races in 2019 and 2020
- Develop overall strategy, in alignment with other Department Heads and executives, to ensure Swing Left has a cohesive and comprehensive organizational strategy
- Oversee the Distributed Organizing, Strategic States and Campus Organizing programs
- Hire, onboard, train, and manage additional skilled employees to support field programs as needed
- 8+ years of relevant organizing experience, with 4+ years of management experience. Preference for candidates who have worked in electoral and non-electoral organizations
- High level of comfort with creative uses of technology. Experience with digital organizing not required but is preferred
- Deep passion for developing volunteer-centric organizing strategies
- Ability to evaluate work both quantitatively and qualitatively
- Comfort in a rapidly changing virtual work environment (Swing Left is still very much a startup)
The Head of Organizing position is full-time, remote position. Swing Left provides a competitive salary and benefits package. We are happy to answer any questions you have about our benefits, retirement, parental leave policies and other, similar benefits in interviews.
We believe that the GOP’s bad behavior disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. As a result, we believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do and we welcome all applicants regardless of age, citizenship, gender identity or expression, national origin, pregnancy status, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other differences.