The Email Director will develop and implement email marketing campaigns end-to-end; manage email databases and targeting; and create content that informs, engages, and drives Swing Left volunteers and donors to take action.
This position will report to the Head of Digital. They will provide strategic messaging savvy as well as excellence in email targeting and deployment. The ideal candidate will have years of experience running email marketing for political campaigns or non-profit organizations.
About Swing Left
Swing Left is a national grassroots organization that took back the House in 2018 by building a national campaign for Democratic candidates in 84 Swing Districts in three big ways: recruiting and training an army of volunteers, raising funds from grassroots donors, and building cultural momentum for the midterms. For 2020, we’ll be bringing our “campaigns-in-waiting” model to swing Senate seats, defend the House, win the state-level races needed to ensure fair maps for 2021 redistricting—and, of course, the Presidency.
In 2018 we took back the House. Join us, and help take back all the Houses in 2020.
- Manage Swing Left’s email marketing platform, including strategy, content calendar, targeting, QA/testing, and deployment
- Develop email strategy with the goals to increase engagement, retention, and conversions to action (signing up for a volunteer activity, donating to a candidate, etc.)
- Drive and maintain best practices in email messaging, ensuring that all copy and visuals are consistently accessible, positive, informative, intelligent, and action-focused, in keeping with Swing Left’s voice and brand
- Recommend and test new tactics, approaches, and creative strategies
- Drive email strategy and execution in rapid response moments
- Analyze email performance, report on and translate metrics, and make recommendations to refine strategy
- 4+ years of experience running email programs in the political, non-profit, or commercial worlds, including use of email marketing software
- Current knowledge of digital platforms and tactics being used in politics, activism, and commerce
- Excellent writing and editing skills. A knack for crafting persuasive messages and compelling stories that inform, entertain, inspire, and engage
- Finely-tuned attention to content, style, and visual detail. Commitment to fact checking for accuracy. Meticulous proofreader
- News media addict. Familiarity with what’s happening in politics as well as with broader trends (entertainment, business/tech, culture, etc)
- Collaboratively-minded. Comfortable teaming up with others on email content.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, set and maintain deadlines, and hold self and others accountable
- Ability to comfortably give and receive feedback
- Ability to work in a forward-thinking environment, with flexibility, and at a rapid pace
- Ability to work in a primarily virtual office
- Embraces opportunities for growth and learning new skills
- Digital fundraising and/or rapid response experience a plus
- Analytics experience a plus
- Deep commitment to Swing Left’s mission and empowering others with the means to have personal impact on our country’s political future
- Comfort in a rapidly changing virtual work environment (Swing Left is still very much a startup)
The Email Director position is full-time, remote position. Swing Left provides a competitive salary and benefits package. We are happy to answer any questions you have about our benefits, retirement, parental leave policies and other, similar benefits in interviews.
We believe that the GOP’s bad behavior disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. As a result, we believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do and we welcome all applicants regardless of age, citizenship, gender identity or expression, national origin, pregnancy status, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other differences.