Summary: SEIU 775 is Washington State and Montana’s long-term care union; a dynamic and fast-paced organization, unafraid to try new ways of doing things. We incorporate ideas from other unions, movements, advocacy groups, and the business community to win for the workers we represent. Our Union is committed to find new and innovative ways to meet our goals.
The political and advocacy coordinator helps to develop and implement political and advocacy strategies to achieve the goals of SEIU 775 – lifting caregivers out of poverty, transforming health and long-term care, building strong and sustainable worker organizations, and reducing inequality and increasing prosperity for all working people. The position will also work closely with our allies and community partners to support broader campaigns for social and economic justice.
Reports to: Campaigns Manager
Included in the Staff Union Bargaining Unit (classified in the Organizer schedule) this is a full-time, salaried, overtime-exempt
Location: Based out of SEIU 775 HQ (Seattle)
Principal duties and responsibilities include:
- Work with the public affairs staff to develop and implement political and advocacy strategies and campaigns.
- Support and at times lead the union’s work on issue campaigns at the local, state, and federal level, including coordinating member engagement, communications, and social justice coalition work.
- Support and at times lead the union’s work on local, state, and federal election campaigns.
- Coordinate the union’s candidate interview and endorsement process, including developing candidate questionnaires and tracking candidate endorsements and contributions.
- Coordinate member engagement in candidate and ballot measure campaigns with the union’s field organizers. This includes coordinating member volunteer activity with candidates, involvement in issue campaigns, and leading and supporting member turnout to events.
- Coordinating political messaging and engagement strategies with the union’s member communications department.
- Coordinate member engagement in legislative advocacy and lobby days including training members, scheduling and supporting legislative visits, and more.
- Identifying and developing members for potential elected and appointed political or community positions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds/cultures
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- At least three years’ experience in political and/or advocacy work including coordinating rallies, lobby days, canvasses, phonebanks, volunteer trainings and/or other in-person and online campaign actions.
- Willingness to work long, irregular hours, including evenings and weekends
- Willingness and ability to travel, including frequent travel throughout WA and other locations, including overnight travel and assignments.
- Computer literacy and a willingness and ability to learn the organization’s technology tools
- Strong personal planning, motivation, and time management skills and attention to detail
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment
- Demonstrated commitment to race and social justice
- A commitment to building a 21st-Century workers movement, to risk-taking, and to the mission, vision, and values of SEIU
- Fluency in a language other than, and in addition to English is desired.
Compensation: Salary and benefits are set by collective bargaining agreement; pay ranges from low- $50k’s to mid- $70k’s (actual offer based on experience). 775 staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive employer-paid health benefits – major medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse/domestic partner, and eligible dependents, auto, fitness, and cell phone allowance, generous paid holiday, sick and vacation benefits, fully paid parental leave, and both a defined benefit pension plan and a matched 401(K) Plan.
See www.seiu775.org for more information
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
SEIU 775 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates without regard for race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, creed, gender, citizenship status, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, the presence of sensory, mental or physical disability, or any other discrimination prohibited by law. SEIU 775 works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
Details at a glance
- On-site Location
- Full Time Schedule
775 staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive employer-paid health benefits – major medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse/domestic partner, and eligible dependents, auto, fitness, and cell phone allowance, generous paid holiday, sick and vacation benefits, fully paid parental leave, and both a defined benefit pension plan and a matched 401(K) Plan.
How To Apply