Can be based in Seattle or D.C.
The Office of U.S. Representative Pramila Jayapal (WA-07) seeks an experienced, creative and highly motivated Press Secretary to join a fast paced and aggressive Communications team. This position can be based out of either the Representative’s Washington, D.C. or District Office (Seattle, WA) and will require significant travel.
Reporting to the Communications Director, the Press Secretary will supplement a fast-paced and active Communications operations in both Seattle and Washington, D.C.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Writing press releases, statements, Op-Eds other communications materials;
- Writing speeches and talking points for the Member;
- Pitching and fielding press inquiries in conjunction with the Communications Director;
- Staffing and preparing the Representative for district press events and media interviews; and
- Working collaboratively with the District Office to ensure a strong local/state media presence.
The individual will also work collaboratively with the Communications Director and Media Specialist/Digital Producer in managing the Member’s social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Medium), use these channels to share creative content, and grow the Member’s presence in the digital space.
This position requires a combination of strong organizational, problem solving, self-motivation, time management skills and a passion for writing and attention to detail.
Applicant must be willing to work weekends and irregular hours.
Skills & Qualifications:
- 2-3 years of campaign or legislative communications experience
- Excellent written communications skills
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Docs
- Familiarity with Seattle and the King County Area
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply. State and/or district ties are a plus.
Qualified candidates should include in their application: resume, cover letter, three writing samples (including one speech) and three references. Please send applications to email@example.com with “Press Secretary” in the subject line. No calls or drop-ins please.