Congresswoman Suzan DelBene seeks a Community Liaison for Whatcom and Skagit Counties. This position is based in the Mount Vernon district office with varied and frequent travel throughout the region. Primary responsibilities include: managing all outreach efforts in Whatcom and Skagit Counties by engaging with government officials and local business, industry, organization and community leaders, staying informed on all local issues and stakeholder perspectives relating to topics such as the environment, energy, agriculture, transportation, infrastructure, business, trade, economic development, immigration, tribes, education, and healthcare, coordinating outreach events, and managing the Mount Vernon office including internship program.
Please send resume, cover letter, and a short, one page writing sample to Washington.Resumes@mail.house.gov
Please, no phone calls or drop-ins.
COMMUNITY LIAISON FOR WHATCOM AND SKAGIT COUNTIES – OFFICE OF CONGRESSWOMAN SUZAN DELBENE (WA-01)
Primary responsibilities include representing the Congresswoman at community events; interacting with constituents and government agencies; and coordinating outreach activities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Represent the Congresswoman DelBene in the district as needed;
- Travel throughout the district at regular intervals to keep abreast of local concerns;
- Meet regularly with elected officials, local stakeholders, and constituents on behalf of Congresswoman DelBene;
- Attend local events and meetings throughout the region;
- Speak to local groups when the Congresswoman DelBene is unavailable;
- Plan outreach events and meetings for the Congresswoman including coordinating logistics, preparing briefing materials, and staffing;
- Manage Mount Vernon office including answering phones, processing mail, and coordinating the Mount Vernon internship program;
- Must have access to a vehicle and a valid drivers’ license as this job requires driving the Congresswoman and significant personal travel;
- Work a flexible schedule including long hours, nights and weekends; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualified candidates should have at least three years of relevant work experience and have earned a minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- An understanding of the district and federal political process;
- Knowledge of local, state and federal issues relevant to region;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively;
- Ability to form relationships with local community and government leaders;
- A positive out-going personality;
- Temperament to communicate with a variety of personalities in a tactful, pleasant, and professional manner;
- Self-motivated and good at multi-tasking;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail; and
Management or leadership experience a plus.