Casework Assistant acts as a liaison to federal, district, and local agencies for Congresswoman Jayapal and constituents. This position works in conjunction with the casework team to respond to constituent requests for assistance through formal inquiries and referrals. The Casework Assistant will also lead efforts to connect constituents with the casework services of the office through mobile office hours and community events. This position also monitors delivery and pickup of materials, maintains the front office, and assists with various administrative duties.
• Answers and screens telephone calls for the Member and other staff members and takes messages when appropriate;
• Assists the office systems manager with processing of constituent mail;
• Assists the office systems manager with processing of constituent mail and maintain frank mail;
• Responds to constituent requests for information;
• Assistance with purchasing supplies for the office as instructed by the District Director;
• Handles casework assignments for state inquiries, housing, and local referrals, and assists with federal casework as needed to support the caseload of their casework team members.
• Acts as a representative for the Congresswoman within their area of responsibility including answering casework correspondence, meeting with constituents, and serving as a liaison with federal, district, and local agencies;
• Determines the appropriate channels for inquiries with different agencies, continually monitors active cases to ensure they are handled in a responsive manner, maintains up-to-date files and notes on all cases, conducts research to understand available services and procedures for accessing services;
• Organizes and executes mobile office hours across the district, in collaboration with key partners;
• Organizes community events hosted by the office, including the Congressional Art Competition, Congressional App Competition, and other events as necessary;
• Other duties as assigned by Casework team and District Director.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
• Fluent in Spanish (Required)
• Ability to use photocopier, facsimile machine, telephone, and other office equipment;
• Excellent organizational and proofreading skills;
• Ability to perform essential job functions above;
• Professional telephone manner;
• Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others;
• Knowledge of office policies, practices, and procedures;
• Knowledge of office computer applications; and
• Proficiency in word processing.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis. Please include your full name and “Casework Assistant Applicant” in the subject line. The office is Congresswoman Jayapal is an equal opportunity employer.