Families Belong Together, a campaign of the National Domestic Workers Alliance, is a coalition that includes nearly 250 organizations representing Americans from all backgrounds who have joined together to fight family separation and promote dignity, unity, and compassion for all. Together we have raised millions of dollars for immigrant children and families, mobilized hundreds of thousands of people in all 50 states to take action, and helped to reunite thousands of families. We are working to permanently end family separation and detention, seek accountability for the harm that’s been done, and immediately reunite all families who remain torn apart.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Develop a plan for the implementation of a strategic, long-term approach to organizing around family separation and detention
- Provide visionary and strategic leadership to develop and implement powerful organizing campaigns
- Manage strategic alliances and relationships that advance the work of Families Belong Together
- Manage a junior organizer
- Recruit volunteers for events and actions
- Work closely with communications, digital, and policy staff to align strategy and message
- Advanced experience with campaign development
- Logistics and administrative skills to support actions from conception to execution
- Excellent supervision and team coordination skills
- Excellent time and project management skills
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to navigate complicated coalition politics diplomatically
- Experience working in a rapid pace environment where priorities are often shifting
- Experience with developing and implementing outreach plans
- Experience supporting grassroots leaders; preparing principals
- Understanding of issues facing low‐wage workers, immigrant communities, and other communities of color
- Some travel required; sometimes last minute
- Dedication and ability to work ﬂexible hours
Preference will be given to:
- Candidates with management experience
- Candidates with 5-8 years experience in an organizer role in a social justice organization
- Bilingual Spanish/English speakers
The National Domestic Workers Alliance, where Families Belong Together is based, organizes domestic workers in the United States for respect, recognition and labor standards. We work to guarantee labor protections for domestic workers by winning legislation at the state level, pushing for regulatory changes at the national level, through the International Labor Organization at the global level, and elevating domestic workers as key leaders in building a powerful movement for a more just economy and democracy.
NDWA was founded in 2007 by 13 local domestic worker organizing projects around the country. By 2016, the alliance had grown to include 60 affiliate organizations and 3 chapters. In 2016, we launched our membership association in order to dramatically increase our scale, power and sustainability. While most of our core leaders are engaged as leaders in NDWA affiliate organizations and chapters, the vast majority of our members will be workers who we engage with remotely and online.
Reports to: Co-Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Work Location: Remote but must be willing to work east coast hours
Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities and LGBTQ people strongly encouraged to apply. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to this platform. Please include a daytime phone number where we can contact you. This position will remain open until filled.