400 E Pine St. Ste. 322
GSBA is Washington State’s LGBTQ and allied chamber of commerce. The Mission of GSBA is to combine business development, leadership and social action to expand economic opportunities for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer community and those who support equality for all. In addition to business development, GSBA is committed to strengthen community, advocate for small business and equality, increase tourism through our tourism initiative, Travel Out Seattle; and invest in the next generation of leaders through our Scholarship Fund.
Description of Position
We are looking for a Business Development Manager, who has a commitment to a vibrant Capitol Hill Business district and who has a passion for our mission, is outgoing and has exceptional oral and written communication skills. This person will also have the ability to think critically, problem-solve, and execute with speed. The Business Development Manager is responsible for managing and implementing all aspects of outreach, identification, cultivation and stewardship of business and nonprofit members with a specific focus on businesses located on Capitol Hill. This position will focus on both annual membership renewal and growth campaigns for Capitol Hill, in close collaboration with the VP of Membership and Programs as well as others who are helping advance GSBA’s membership program.
This position plays an important role in ensuring that GSBA’s current and prospective members feel frequently engaged and informed by the organization and its vision. This is an incredibly fun and fast-paced job for a creative, energetic, and dynamic person who wants to use their skills and passion for small business, equality and education to benefit the LGBTQ, allied and progressive business community.
– Develop attractive membership packages that will demonstrate the value that a Capitol Hill Business will receive as a member of the newly created Capitol Hill Business Alliance and GSBA.
– Create and maintain a spreadsheet of Capitol Hill businesses and nonprofit organizations
– Identify and cultivate past and prospective business owners located on Capitol Hill
– Create an in-person as well as email campaign to reach out to those businesses and nonprofits located on Capitol Hill
Retention and Renewal
– Create business plans to set and achieve goals, implement plan and create process to evaluate effectiveness
– Messaging: ability to craft well-written individual emails as well as broadcast emails
– Timeline: creates timeline for annual membership renewal plan, with a focus on Capitol Hill businesses
– Work with VP of Membership and Programs and Program Manager to give input around needs
– Create a business plan setting goals for membership growth, implement plan and create process to evaluate effectiveness of plan
– Identify and cultivate underrepresented constituencies
– Reach out to underrepresented industry sectors
– Participate in community and business expos
– Experience working with LGBTQ, multi-ethnic, and diverse populations
– Background in business development, with a focus on small business
– Knowledge of and an interest in retaining and growing the vibrancy of Capitol Hill businesses
– Three to five years of experience preferred working in membership and/or sales position
– Ability to write compelling messages to the membership. Writing samples will be requested and a writing test may be a part of the interview process.
– Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to take initiative, work independently, or as a helpful team member.
– Commitment to GSBA, understanding the importance of small business, social justice values and a personal commitment to equity and inclusion.
– A demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and be composed under pressure.
– Strong organizational and project management skills including a passion for detail and follow-through.
– An ability to work flexible hours when necessary, including some evenings and weekends for special events.
– Experience and knowledge working with Microsoft Suite.
– A sense of humor and the ability to work joyfully in a fast-paced environment.
Salary range is $55-$65,000 depending on experience. Excellent compensation package includes generous vacation, medical, dental, and vision coverage along with short-term disability insurance and option to invest in an individual retirement account with an employer match.
GSBA is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, multi-cultural work environment. People of color, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply.
Send letter of interest (must include experience working with small business and the LGBTQ community), resumé, the names, emails, and phone numbers of three professional references, and how you heard about this position to:
Ilona Lohrey, VP of Membership and Programs, ilonaL@thegsba.org
Please include “Business Development Manager” in the subject line of your email.
The position is available immediately. All applications will be reviewed and acted upon as they are received. The position will be filled as soon as the appropriate candidate is found. It is therefore recommended that you submit your materials as soon as possible.