Do you think Washington should lead the nation with smart, progressive policies to build a strong middle class, racial justice, and a better future for our kids? Are you committed to exposing conservatives’ hypocrisy and holding them accountable to the public? Do you follow #waleg for news and spend your October weekends canvassing? If so, this job may be for you!
Fuse Washington is hiring a Political Communications Specialist to increase accountability and win political and legislative campaigns in Washington.
We’re looking for a multi-talented individual to provide written communications, social media, and research support for legislative and political campaigns in Washington state. This position will produce exciting and engaging content for social media, blogs, email advocacy, and our Progressive Voters Guide website. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic about Washington state politics, have a good sense of humor, and have a strong ability to identify opportunities in campaigns and current events where Fuse can make a difference. This person will work in a fast-paced team environment to implement creative, high-impact communications projects.
This is a full-time, salaried position that is based in Seattle and reports to the Communications Director.
Key areas of responsibility
- Create social media, advocacy email, and website content for distribution to Fuse members, reporters, and the public
- Closely monitor the state Legislature and Washington state political campaigns for opportunities to spread progressive messages and undermine our opponents
- Consistently generate creative ideas for social media content, online petitions, blog posts, and press releases
Work, volunteer, academic, and life experience are all acceptable
- Demonstrated creative and analytical writing abilities, with an eye to making politics accessible and interesting for the public on short deadlines
- A passion for progressive politics in Washington
- Proficiency with digital advocacy and social media
- A commitment to racial justice
- A sense of humor and an engaging social media presence
- Innovative and data-driven
- Ability to thrive in an open office with a fast-paced, campaign-style work environment
- Ability to work weekends and evenings when necessary
Extra Credit Qualifications
None of these skills or experiences are required for an applicant to be competitive.
- Political campaign experience
- Grassroots organizing experience
- Experience managing organizational or branded accounts on Twitter, Facebook, or other social media platforms
- Experience working to advance racial justice
- Experience with platforms such as ActionKit, Drupal, WordPress, BSD, Convio, or Salsa
- Proficiency with Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and/or other graphic design or video editing software
- Ability to speak and/or write fluently in Spanish
Salary range is $52,000 to $56,000 per year, depending on experience. Fuse offers excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, an unlimited transit pass, retirement package with employer match, and generous vacation time.
Please submit all of the following materials no later than March 3 to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Short cover letter explaining your interest in Fuse and this position
- One short writing sample – creative or advocacy writing preferred
No phone calls or drop-ins, please. Applications will be considered as they arrive.
Fuse Washington is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. All interested individuals, including women and men of color, persons with disabilities, and persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or intersex are particularly urged to apply.
Fuse Washington (www.fusewashington.org) is the state’s largest progressive organization – people creating change online, on the ground, and on issues that matter.
Our goals at Fuse are to help progressives win more often and give ordinary people a strong voice in politics. We aim to provide organizing and communications power that helps progressives win today and tomorrow on critical issues and electoral campaigns while strengthening the foundation for increased success over time. There are four basic strategies we use to help win campaigns and build long-term progressive success:
- Organizing: We mobilize grassroots activists online and offline, build councils of local leaders in key areas that drive the state’s balance of power, and we organize political donors. We also organize coalitions when leveraging collaboration is critical to a campaign’s success and Fuse is strategically well positioned to do so.
- Communications: We deliver stories and messages that move people through new media and the news media, and we train others in the progressive community to communicate more effectively as well. We also produce high-quality research to support targeted campaigns and understand our opponents.
- Increasing accountability and promoting leadership: We hold decision-makers’ feet to the fire when they let voters down, and we back leaders who fuel progress.
- Targeting the obstacles to progress: Our highest priority is to solve the political problems that hold everyone back.
Fuse has several strengths as an organization that fuel our work:
- A culture of innovation and creativity: we always aim to be an innovation engine and a game changer.
- Long-term timeline and a focus on movement and capacity building: our strategies are designed to build long-term power for progressives in Washington while also delivering short-term results.
- Speed and nimbleness: we possess a dynamic flexibility to tackle urgent challenges and capitalize on opportunities.