The mission of the Mobilization Department at the Democratic National Committee is to bring the American people into the heart of the DNC by empowering them with the tools to mobilize in their communities.
We organize in all 3,413 counties across the country, through the state parties and from the grassroots, and we seek to impact races up and down the ballot while building a movement to put a Democrat in the White House in 2020.
We are a team of passionate, cross-discipline experts committed to energizing Democratic voters, mobilizing grassroots donors, and getting people more deeply involved to support the party both online and offline. Come join us.
The Democratic National Committee is looking to hire an Email Director to run one of the largest and most active grassroots mobilization programs in politics. You will be responsible for managing a team of talented email strategists and executing grassroots campaigns using fundraising and mobilization tactics to achieve our ambitious goals, including raising tens of millions of dollars in grassroots donations from as many Americans as possible.
To succeed, you’ll need to relentlessly pursue excellence in all written communications, have a strong attention to detail, and a desire to try innovative techniques to engage with supporters over email. You’ll manage a team of writers and production specialists, and help them achieve their professional goals. Be ready to work extraordinarily hard; this isn’t a 9-5 sort of job.
What You’ll Do:
- Innovate how to best reach and mobilize our grassroots over email and tell a story about the work of the Democratic National Committee that is coherent and integrated across all channels
- Manage of one of the largest and most complex email lists in politics. You’ll be responsible for accuracy in targeting and segmentation
- Mentor and manage a team of email writers and strategists
- Create overall strategy and planning (long-term and short-term) for fundraising and mobilization campaigns, including execution of complex segmentation and optimization programs, while ensuring the highest standard of quality
- Manage the email calendar and navigate competing organizational priorities
- Oversee all content and creative for the email program
- Drive and oversee testing and optimization efforts
- Produce clean, professional user experiences on tight timelines, and with coordination across departments
- Ensure pristine email deliverability. You know that your great content doesn’t mean anything if it doesn’t land in supporters’ inboxes.
- 3 or more years experience on an email or direct marketing program for an electoral campaign, advocacy organization or non-profit organization
- Must be a great editor; you can take a rough draft with a great idea and turn it into an email that can be sent out to millions of supporters
- Organizing and campaigning chops; you have a knack for finding the right call to action for a particular situation
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills; you should have an eagle-eye for typos and errors and have a deep understanding of how to inspire people to take action using the written word
- Proven leadership skills; managing and mentoring others to do their best should be something that you find rewarding
- Strong, sharp, and personable writing style
- You must be in D.C. or be willing to relocate to the Washington, D.C. area
Preference Given for Experience With:
- Managing multi-million subscriber email program for an electoral campaign, advocacy organization, or social justice or non-profit organization
- Familiarity with online organizing platforms and/or website CMS, CRM, and/or mass email systems (e.g. Blue State Digital, Action Network, ActionKit, EveryAction)
The Democratic National Committee (DNC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DNC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNC is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the hiring process and on the job, as required by applicable law. The DNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.