Congresswoman Suzan DelBene is seeking an energetic District Director. Primary responsibilities include managing overall operations in the Congresswoman’s Bothell and Mount Vernon offices and representing the Member at various events. Duties also include monitoring district issues, supervising events, conducting outreach, and working with the policy and communications staff. This is a senior-level position in a fast-paced office that frequently requires non-traditional work hours. Qualified applicants should have at least 5 to 10 years of relevant experience, preferably in government affairs. Management experience is strongly preferred.
Please send resume and cover letter to Washington.Resumes@mail.house.gov
Please, no phone calls or drop-ins.
DISTRICT DIRECTOR – OFFICE of CONGRESSWOMAN SUZAN DELBENE (WA-01)
The District Director oversees all district office operations. This position develops and implements policy objectives, strategies and operating plans for the Congresswoman’s district offices and directs all activities and staff of the district offices.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Supervisory: Directly supervises district office employees; carries out responsibilities in accordance with office policy and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training district office employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining district office employees; addressing complaints; and resolving problems.
- Represents the Congresswoman and/or assigns appropriate staff to do so in the district offices as needed;
- Manages district office staff;
- Actively keeps the Congresswoman abreast on key local issues;
- Plans, assigns and evaluates work of employees in district offices;
- Interviews, selects and trains employees of district offices and ensures that district office staff complies with office and House of Representative policies, practices, and procedures;
- Conducts district office staff meetings;
- Speaks to local groups when the Congresswoman is unavailable;
- Assists with outreach to and maintaining relationships with key constituency groups;
- Builds or supervises Member involved/focused district events
- Maintains close communication with the Washington, D.C. office to coordinate and implement policy objective and office operations;
- Travels throughout the district at regular intervals to keep abreast of local concerns;
- Oversees and makes decisions on Congresswoman’s schedule when in district
- Meets with elected officials and representatives of local groups on behalf of the Congresswoman;
- Schedules meetings with federal and district government agencies as necessary;
- Acts as a liaison to and notifies the appropriate media when the Congresswoman will be in the area and works with the
- Congresswoman’s Scheduler and Communications Director to ensure appropriate media participation;
- Responds to constituent telephone calls and mail;
- Maintains a good working relationship with the Congresswoman, staff and constituents;
- Accepts performance-based criticism and direction;
- Meets attendance requirements as established by the office;
- Works well under pressure and handles stress;
- Works a flexible schedule including long hours, nights, and weekends; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.