ACM Strategies is an offensive coordinator for the worker justice movement. We specialize in digital campaigns that educate, inoculate, and turn workers into activists. We are a progressive, woman-owned company, and our clients include labor unions, coalitions, and advocacy groups that are excited about winning uphill battles.
The Communications Specialist is an expert at identifying and telling stories that will motivate workers and activists. They are able to craft compelling narratives from research and explain complicated ideas in a way anyone can understand. They always have the big picture in mind, but are capable of reacting quickly to the news and political changes. The Communications Specialist plays an integral role in helping grow ACM Strategies and its professional network.
This job can be done remotely from anywhere in the United States. We work in multiple time zones, and occasional travel within the U.S. may be required.
We are committed to being an inclusive organization where everyone is treated fairly, enjoys working together, and has the opportunity to do their best work. ACM Strategies provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, disability, or parental status.
The Communications Specialist is responsible for:
- Developing and implementing innovative communications strategies for multiple campaigns.
- Writing blog posts, emails, printable materials, press releases, and marketing materials.
- Planning and writing a weekly newsletter.
- Collaborating with the Digital Strategist to set and achieve long-term communications goals.
- Monitoring the news for rapid response opportunities, and coming up with imaginative ways to be part of the conversation.
- Building relationships with reporters and fellow labor communicators.
- Occasionally pitching reporters on behalf of clients and ACM Strategies.
- Contributing to a marketing strategy to grow and strengthen ACM Strategies.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Applicant should have:
- A solid understanding of the labor movement and current worker justice issues.
- 3- 5 years experience working for a labor union, campaign, progressive organization, or communications firm.
- Excellent writing and copy editing skills.
- Experience working in the digital space, in addition to traditional communications.
- Familiarity with best practices, but an eagerness to try new things and shift directions based on results.
- The focus and drive to be a self-manager. This is a remote position, so you should be confident in your ability to stay on track.
Nice to haves:
- Experience working with a small team, where responsibilities may change quickly.
- Established relationships with labor leaders and/or labor communicators.
- Experience conducting press outreach.
- Familiarity with Action Network or a similar toolset.
- The ability to create simple graphics or other social media content in a rapid-response situation.
The salary range for this position is $58,000 to $68,000 per year, depending on experience, plus potential for commission and fast growth. A health care stipend is provided.
Send a cover letter, résumé, and a work sample to email@example.com with the subject line “Communications Specialist.”