DISTRICT REPRESENTATIVE – Veteran and Active Duty Caseworker/Grays Harbor County Liaison
Office of US Representative Derek Kilmer (WA-06) Location: Tacoma, WA
The District Representative acts as a liaison to federal, district, and local agencies for the member and constituents and answers casework correspondence and communications with constituents.
- Work primarily out of Tacoma, WA District Office;
- Serve as Member’s ombudsman for constituents with difficulties related to Federal agencies. Including, but not limited to:
- U.S. Department of Defense (All Branches of the Military);
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs;
- U.S. Coast Guard;
- Handle constituent casework: initial problem identification, contacts with agencies, follow-up letters and case resolution;
- Answer constituent correspondence and correspond with Federal departments and agencies;
- Maintain regular contact with Federal agency liaisons and attend Federal agency briefings;
- Monitor casework for problems and trends which might be resolved by legislative action;
- Field general calls and emails from constituents and provide them with appropriate resources;
- Act as the representative for the Member within Grays Harbor County, including answering constituent correspondence, meeting with constituents, verbal communications with constituents, and serving as a liaison with federal, district, and local agencies;
- Inform the Member and the District Director of all happenings in his or her assigned issue areas by screening district media sources and interacting with constituents;
- Act as a liaison to local, state and federal officials and other persons, groups or stakeholders to form effective relationships for the Member;
- Monitor scheduled district meetings for the Member with constituents;
- Prepare casework reports and weekly reports on district activities in his or her assigned issue areas;
- Meet attendance requirements as established by the office;
- Maintain a positive working relationship with the Member, staff, and constituents;
- Accept performance based criticism and directions;
- Work well under pressure and manage stressful situations;
- Accept a flexible schedule including long hours, nights and weekends; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Military Veterans strongly encouraged to apply. Post-Secondary Education is strongly preferred but not required. At least one year working in an office setting that interacts with the public is beneficial.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Professional telephone manner;
- Temperament to communicate with a variety of personalities in a tactful, pleasant, and professional manner.
- Knowledge of all issues and events in the district in which the Member is involved;
- Thoroughness and careful attention to detail;
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in fulfillment of responsibilities;
- Ability to perform the essential job functions above;
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others;
- Knowledge of office policies, practices, and procedures;
- Knowledge of office computer applications; and
- Proficiency in word processing.
QUESTIONS OR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact Rep. Kilmer’s District Director, Andrea Roper at Andrea.Roper@mail.house.gov or (253) 272-3515.