The Washington, DC session is one of the highlights of IDF’s program. This is an optional trip, and missing it does not count against your attendance. Because of the content of the programming for DC, we HIGHLY recommend you attend, but understand it may be difficult for cost and work related reasons to participate (program fellows have fundraised in the past to cover travel costs).
We plan this session around Potlatch, an annual reception put on by the Washington State Society, which will be on Friday, May 12.
Programming Schedule: Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of the week we are in Washington, DC.
Accommodations & Cost: IDF covers your Potlatch tickets and your hotels during your stay in DC. Plane tickets, transportation and food are your own responsibility. Hotel rooms will be covered Tuesday night through Friday night.
Programming may include:
- Meetings with our Democratic delegation in Congress
- Think tank speakers and policy makers
- Tour of the Democratic National Committee’s HQ
- Meetings at the White House
- Brown bag lunch with national consultants, lobbyists and policymakers
- Tour of Embassies
- Meetings with Department Directors, NGO staffers, and committee staff
- Meetings with veterans organizations
- Tour of the Pentagon
This IDF session focuses on the economics, politics and issues affecting Eastern Washington. Official schedules will be emailed to the class about one week prior to the session.
Programming may include::
- Meeting with Spokane business and elected leaders
- Discussion on water rights issues
- Tour of a prison and talk with local law enforcement
- Discussion of gun rights
- Homelessness and drug addiction
Accommodations: Hotels will be provided both Friday and Saturday nights.