Real Change Homeless Empowerment Project was founded in 1994 to offer immediate employment options for the poor and homeless and challenge the structures that create poverty. Real Change serves our vendors and unsheltered folks through three integrated approaches:
Vendor Program: Real Change meets vendors where they are, providing immediate income and training. Additional opportunities include advanced sales trainings, elected vendor leadership positions, vendor internships, assistance with resource referral, access to the computer lab, and paid participation in the Homeless Speakers Bureau.
Real Change Newspaper: Real Change is North America’s leading street newspaper that provides work for about 800 homeless and low-income people annually, regularly wins awards for excellence, and focuses on issues of economic, social and racial justice.
Real Change Advocacy and Organizing: Real Change leverages relationships between vendors and readers to increase opportunities for homeless and low-income people. Real Change’s work has built the public will to form Mayor Ed Murray’s Emergency Task Force on Unsheltered Homelessness, among recent victories.
Real Change seeks a skilled, experienced, innovative philanthropy leader with 5+ years of development experience in a nonprofit, educational or public service environment to join our dynamic, accomplished leadership team. We seek a highly organized, detail-oriented self-starter who can demonstrate collaboration and teamwork in a complex and fast-paced environment, and who can manage up, down and laterally to ensure the success of the fundraising enterprise and the organization itself. An ideal candidate will have resilience, initiative, a sense of humor, candor, good communications skills, adaptability and creativity, cultural competency and class awareness, and a demonstrated passion for social justice.
The Development Director (DD) is a full time, exempt position at Real Change reporting to the Founding Director. The DD will work closely with staff including the Founding Director and Part-Time development assistant as well as board leadership to develop and execute a comprehensive, growth-oriented fundraising plan with an emphasis on major donor cultivation and stewardship. In 2016, our revenue from donations was approximately $650K.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
Donor Development (60%)
• Work with staff and board to develop and execute aggressive fundraising plan and build a robust fundraising culture
• Manage Raiser’s Edge donor database and generate timely reports to track fundraising effectiveness.
• Identify and qualify major gift prospects and cultivate philanthropy through regular personal engagement, such as visits, tours, phone calls, and invitations to engage as volunteers
• Engage Founding Director and board members in major donor stewardship and solicitation
• Plan and execute stewardship activities that promote donor retention, as well as increased philanthropy and levels of personal involvement
• Expand our 1,700+ individual donor base through mail, innovative on-line and social media giving strategies to leverage our newspaper and social media presence
• Conduct annual Spring and Winter fund drives
• Participate in development of written materials including, but not limited to, annual report, drive-related appeals, and marketing materials
• Develop and promote planned giving program to build endowment fund
• Supervise administrative staff to ensure timely gift acknowledgement and data processing
• Maintain and enhance workplace giving and car donations programs
Event Management and Marketing (20%)
• Oversee online development communications: website, social media, and email
• Develop and manage fundraising committee to engage board members and other volunteers
• Oversee efforts of a volunteer/board events committee
• Support Founding Director in marketing and communicating community events and open houses
• Develop and execute Real Change’s long running Annual Breakfast
• Develop annual event sponsor relationships and advertising with mission-aligned businesses and institutions
Management and Administration (15%)
• Collaborate, participate and contribute as a part of the Real Change Senior Management Team
• Supervise Development Associate, seasonal administrative support of staff and interns, and consultants
• Participate in development of Real Change budget and manage fundraising expenses
• Other interdepartmental activities including participation in staff and management meetings, participating in racial equity work and trainings, and backing up program staff, as needed.
• Work with founding director and contract grant writer to complete grant applications and grow foundation support
• Coordinate site visits with foundation representatives and ensure that all Real Change participants are prepared for visits in advance
• Ensure follow up on grant applications to complete status updates and final reports on a timely basis
• 5+ year track record of fundraising success, including 2+ years’ experience in major donor prospecting, cultivation, and closing
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Event planning experience
• Experience managing a budget
• Self-motivated, effective problem solver able to work independently and as part of a team
• Demonstrated commitment to economic, social and racial justice
• Experience working with volunteers and professionals from diverse backgrounds
• Demonstrated experience with Raisers Edge strongly preferred
• Willingness to work some evenings and weekends, as needed
Compensation: $60,000-70,000 DOE. Excellent benefit package, including three weeks paid vacation, medical, dental and vision coverage, and a $600 annual professional development budget.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Development Director” in the subject line.
People of color and those with direct experience with poverty and/or homelessness are encouraged to apply. NO PHONE CALLS.