Claudia Balducci represents District 6 on the King County Council. District 6 encompasses all or part of the cities of Bellevue, Bothell, Clyde Hill, Hunts Point, Kirkland, Medina, Mercer Island, Redmond, Woodinville and Yarrow Point, the Town of Beaux Arts and the Sammamish Valley.
We are looking for an energetic and knowledgeable person to join our District 6 team as the community liaison and the policy lead for health and human services. The Council and the district are both dynamic places to work and this position will be asked to take on additional policy areas or duties as the need arises, sometimes requiring work beyond normal business hours. The strongest candidates will be familiar with the district, have experience working with community members and groups, and possess strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills. Familiarity with health and human services policy and issues related to the district are preferred, but not required.
- Act as the community liaison for District 6 by forming relationships with community leaders, residents and members of interest groups in the district.
- Act as the point of contact and manage most of the casework in the office when constituents contact the Councilmember with questions or issues that cannot be easily resolved.
- Analyze, monitor and develop recommendations in assigned policy areas.
- Support the Councilmember in assigned policy areas to ensure she is aware of important issues and opportunities, is ready to respond to questions and able to make important policy decisions.
- Form productive relationships with County staff in the Executive and Council branches, as well as other government entities.
- Write memos, emails and educational and publicity pieces on particular issues or for events.
- Represent the Councilmember at public events when she is not available.
- Help advance the priorities of the office.
Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills:
- At least three years working in the District 6 community or in a role that involves direct interface with the community.
- Knowledge of District 6.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience working in a political environment.
- Experience in the human services or related policy area.
- Ability to manage multiple sensitive issues and projects from planning to completion simultaneously.
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds and with different perspectives.
- Ability to synthesize information and distill an issue into its key points.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Flexibility in terms of switching among assignments and taking on tasks outside assigned policy areas.
- Demonstrated decision making ability.
- Good time management and ability to plan ahead.
- Comfortable working as part of a team.
Salary range is $70,000 – $80,000, depending on experience.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm January 30, 2018.
If you have questions, please contact Krista Camenzind at email@example.com or 206-263-9684.