CAIR-Washington State (CAIR-WA), a local chapter of CAIR, the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights organization, is seeking a creative and visionary professional to lead its public affairs department.
- Serve as a spokesperson for CAIR-WA at public policy forums
- Build upon successful pilot projects to mobilize community members to influence and change public policy
- Enable hundreds of community members to be at decision-making tables in politics
- Build working relationships with Muslim community organizations and allies
- Manage a budget and a team of interns and staff to achieve the department goals
Details about public affairs programs and their results can be found in the 2016 Annual Report: www.cairseattle.org/AnnualReport
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
You are a visionary and creative thinker. You bring the ability and desire to measurably increase the political influence of American Muslims by launching efforts which scale the work done in past pilot projects and innovate new ones. You believe deeply in training and mobilizing community members to drive policy change and in mass communication toward social change. You are a proven political strategist with knowledge of civil rights issues facing American Muslims. You believe that American Muslims contribute significantly to our society and deserve equal opportunity and equal treatment.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Scale effort to recruit, train and mobilize hundreds of American Muslims including children and youth across Washington state to influence decision-makers in government and business
- Sophisticated political judgment, understanding of legislative issues and ability to quickly gain in-depth knowledge of CAIR-WA’s substantive issues and to represent these issues locally and nationally
- Demonstrated ability to work across very diverse American Muslim communities and ensuring a broad diversity of participation from multiple sub-communities
- Build broad coalitions with corporations and high-level government leaders to move issues forward
- Possess strategic skills and problem-solving abilities to develop and implement innovative programs that promote collaboration and achieve mission
- Ability to work with community-based scheduling, i.e. frequent meetings/events on evenings and weekends at offsite locations
- Reliable and flexible transportation and be comfortable driving extensively and often statewide (mileage reimbursed)
Compensation includes a salary between $60k and $80k commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications. Compensation also includes medical, vision and dental benefits starting day-one fully paid by the employer, and discretionary leave benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should send their résumé and a cover letter describing why they feel they are the ideal candidate and person to move the organization forward along with their salary history and requirements to email@example.com Please reference “CAIR-WA Public Affairs Director Search” in the subject line. Résumés without cover letters will not be considered.
Applicants are also encouraged to send photos and audio or video recordings of advocacy trainings and meetings organized and conducted.
CAIR-WA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.